By Sarah Shafaeen
While San Jose is not known for its traditional white winters and the many activities that go with that, there are many other fun things to help you enjoy the Holidays. Here are five ways to have a blast this winter without leaving the city.
- Visit downtown. Downtown San Jose has many fun activities just for the holidays. Go ice skating at the Circle of Palms Plaza and grab some steaming hot chocolate when you finish. Visit the annual Christmas in the Park at the Plaza de Cesar Chavez to admire the musical and animated exhibits, glittering lights and the 60-foot Community Giving Tree. Or you can go to the Winter Wonderland, consisting of carnival rides, food, games and more sprawled across Park Avenue.
- Stay inside. Who says you have to go outside this winter? Enjoy the great indoors by cozying up in front of an roaring fire and watching the flames, wearing fuzzy slippers at home, curling up under a blanket with a good book, wearing flannel pajamas, shopping after-Christmas sales (online, in your PJs) or completing a jigsaw puzzle. You can successfully avoid the outside world but still get into the holiday spirit with these wintery things that can be done from the comfort of your own home.
- Decorate your house. The holidays are an aesthetic. Get in the spirit and have some fun by setting up ornaments, twinkle lights, wreaths, paper snowflakes, pine cones and anything that goes with your theme. This can also be a fun family activity. Do not be afraid to try something new or make something yourself. Make your home feel warm, cozy and inviting so you’ll have the perfect place to relax when the cold weather arrives.
- Bake. There are many fun and festive foods that are easy to bake and share with loved ones. This year, bake cookies, pies and cinnamon rolls. If you are up for a challenge, try to bake and decorate a gingerbread house. These toasty foods will help keep you warm and spread the holiday cheer.
- Just Because. Finally, some extra things you can do this season are mail a handwritten card to an old friend; cup a steaming mug in your hands on a cold day; donate food, toys or clothing to a local charity; wear something red; go on a hike; help clean up trash around parks; volunteer at a soup kitchen.
The holidays are a stressful time for many, but these activities are a great way to just relax and enjoy your holidays with friends and family!