By Hannahjane Arellano
Thanksgiving is a time when you gather around the dinner table with your friends and family and share what you’re thankful for. But what makes hanging around your loved ones better? FOOD! Here are some recipes that you and your family can surely gobble up:
Cranberry Crescent Rolls
- 1 pack of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
- Homemade or canned cranberry sauce
- 1 egg, whipped
- Preheat oven according to directions on the package of crescent rolls.
- Separate crescent rolls into individual rolls.
- Use a spoon to put about 1/2 tablespoon of cranberry sauce on the thickest portion of the crescent rolls.
- Carefully roll the crescent roll over the cranberry sauce and into a crescent shape.
- Brush the tops of each crescent roll with the egg wash.
- Bake according to package directions.
- Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
Garlic and Chive Mashed Potatoes
- 4 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes (ten potatoes), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chives and a little extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground pepper
- Wash, peel and quarter your potatoes. Place them in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then cook for 12-14 minutes until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a small pot, bring to a boil 1 1/3 cup of milk with two smashed garlic cloves. As soon as the milk starts to boil, remove from heat and let it stand.
- Remove cooked potatoes after 12-14 minutes from heat and drain them. First mash them with a potato masher, then with a hand mixer. Mash them in the same pot. Place mashed potatoes back on the stove over medium heat and stir them constantly for about two minutes until they are slightly dry. Remove from heat.
- Add milk mixture to the mashed potatoes, but discard the garlic cloves. Add three tablespoons of butter, either melted or at room temperature, along with a fourth of a cup of sour cream, one teaspoon of salt and one tablespoon of chives. Season with some pepper and mix everything together until well combined.
- Serve warm and garnish with chives.